Your car’s electric power steering system is susceptible to failure over time if not properly maintained and/or repaired when issues arise. In this article we’ll go over some of the importance of the power steering system, how to recognize signs of malfunction, and how to address such issues.
Why It’s Critical to Maintain the Power Steering System
Today’s drivers are fortunate enough to experience what is called electric power steering. If you were alive to enjoy the muscle that was required to simply turn a car’s wheel only a few decades ago, then you know what a luxury power steering can be. Power steering is what makes our cars steer and turn smoothly without a fight. When the power steering system encounters an issue, it can be highly problematic and even dangerous for the driver and passengers. Maintaining the power steering system is critical in order to prevent safety issues from occurring and to keep the car in good working condition.
Signs that the Power Steering is Encountering a Problem:
The power steering system can encounter an issue due to regular, ongoing wear and tear, age of parts, or an auto accident. It’s important to keep your eyes out for any of the warning signs of premature wear of the power steering system so that you can address the issue before it worsens. Here are the two most common warning signs that your power steering requires servicing:
- Difficult to turn wheel/stiff wheel
- Check-engine light comes on
Often when the electric power steering goes out, the first thing drivers notice is the drivability of the vehicle. Usually it becomes especially difficult to turn the car or maneuver it with ease, and it becomes nearly impossible to control. Furthermore, the check engine light may come on if the power steering issue is related to the control module or an electrical issue. It is essential to follow up with these warning signs as soon as possible to limit the damage done to your car and to ensure your safety.
How to Care for the Electric Power Steering System
This wonderful development in automotive design is relatively new, and it is quite complex. The power steering system is composed various parts that all need to be inspected and serviced at some point in your vehicle’s life cycle. These are just a few of the parts included in your power steering system:
- Control unit
- Fluid pump
- Hydraulic fluid
All of these components require ongoing maintenance, the guidelines of which can be found in your owner’s manual. Here’s what you can do to keep these parts in good working order from now on:
- Inspect and replace the fluid pump- This hydraulic pump’s function is to ensure that the hydraulic fluid flows through the power steering system. When the pump begins not working properly, it can cause the system to “dry out,” causing parts to wear quickly and the power steering to fail. Eventually the pump will need to be replaced, so it’s important to follow your maintenance schedule.
- Keep hydraulic fluid in good quality and full- Hydraulic power steering fluid is essential to the function of the overall system. Power steering fluid needs to be kept in good condition and at the appropriate level consistently. If you notice any leaks or fluid contamination, it’s critical to bring your car to an automotive specialist right away.
- Inspect and replace hoses as needed or preventively- The hoses that transport the power steering fluid through the system can become compromised and corroded over time, leading to cracks and power steering fluid loss. Extreme hot and cold temperatures can significantly increase the wear process for these hoses.
- Follow through with addressing any signs of trouble or failure- If you begin to notice that your car is steering inconsistently, roughly, or too tightly, there could be a problem with the power steering system. The best thing you can do is follow up with these issues immediately with an automotive shop you trust.
Here at Import Motorworx, we serve a wide range of clients with power steering issues from all over the areas of Lawndale, Culver City, West Los Angeles, and South Bay, CA. Deemed the best dealership alternative in the areas we serve, we cater to all the European import enthusiasts nearby. As the resident import service experts, we aim to provide our expertise at an affordable cost. If you’re experiencing power steering issues or would like to learn more about our shop, please contact us personally. We look forward to earning your trust and satisfaction.